Monday, May 3, 2010

The Worst Song

Crank Dat (Soulja Boy) ~ Soulja Boy Tell 'Em

"Lyrics"

Crank Dat (Soulja Boy), by Soulja Boy Tell 'Em, is one of the worst "songs" ever written. I'm not sure you can even call it a song, because it is just really bad both lyrically and musically. It received a score of negative 108 on the song rating sheet. The only good things this song has one instance of alliteration consonance ("super soak"), and a handful of allusions (Superman, Roosevelt, Robocop (I'm not actually sure what that is, though.)) However, since these allusions make absolutely no sense ("Then Superman dat oh"????) in the context of the song (if the song even has a context), they really aren't even poetic. The list of deficiencies is much longer. Practically every line is a grammar violation ("That" is spelled T-H-A-T!!! You make "hater" plural with an s, not a z! "Fo' sho'" are not real words! What on earth does "now watch me you" mean??), and the song is so repetitive. Also, there is absolutely no need to stick your "name" in your song every other line. There is incoherence everywhere as well because some of the lines make absolutely no sense, like "I got me some bathin' apes." What does that even mean??? Actually I don't what the whole song even means, though I'm assuming its something inappropriate. Either that, or it means absoultely nothing at all. In addition, it is basically a rap song, meaning that singing-wise, the vocals are really bad as well. Overall, the song just makes no sense and is incredibly irritating, and it really doesn't even have any good points to offset the bad.

1 comment:

  1. I have been thinking of something like this blog for a very long time. I want to intelligently respond to some of the comments that you have made about certain lyrics. I am not a professor of poetry just a lover of the English language. With "Superman dat oh" the original lyric was Superman that HO which is a slang statement for a sexual act. It is a horrible song but oddly enough not for the reasons that you have stated. Art is never held within the boundaries of spelling and grammar (ask Mark Twain or Toni Morrison). I am going to end here but I will do my best to make a positive addition to the spirit of why you created this Blog.

    ReplyDelete